The Education Committee of the Detroit Local Section of the American Chemical Society exists to improve the practice and process of chemistry education in the Metropolitan Detroit Area.
The means by which the Committee realizes this mission includes, but is not limited to:
- Acting as a liaison between the American Chemical Society, college, and high school community, especially through the Michigan Science Teachers Association, the Metropolitan Detroit Science Teachers Association and the Southeastern Michigan Chemistry Teachers Organization (SEMCTO).
- Fostering professional growth in chemistry through sponsorship of professional development activities and funding independent teacher development initiatives.
- Promoting the study of chemistry through the local Chemistry Olympiad Exam.
- Acting as a clearinghouse for chemical information and events in the Metro Detroit area.
- Rewarding and recognizing excellence in chemistry education.